Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lavinia

Lavinia
 
Last week Lavinia's testimony was posted.
This week I tell of her life from my perspective. She was and is a mother, caretaker, protector and teacher.
 
Lavinia is my cousin and in the midst of her many addictions she was a caretaker of me.
I lived with her, sometimes coming home to step over those that were nodding in or sleeping off their highs.
Her attributes of mother, caretaker and protector and was demonstrated by forbidding those with whom she indulged to entice me. In all of the dysfunction there was an unspoken respect between us, although I knew, I was not permitted to see any actual drug use. 
She was my teacher in that she refused to let me remain naive to the harshness of the world. My going to church was good but the reality of her life caused me to question God and search him out.

Today I advise, that it is true, we entertain angels unaware.
I also say that like Rahab the prostitute, who hid the Israelite spies that sought to invade Jerhico, Lavinia is a woman who had/has great faith. The life she has lived is not the sum total of her.
Her testimony shared with us what has been. I am encouraged to see what now is and what will be.

We all have a past. We all have a future.
We all are simply in the process of becoming.
  I thank God I am not what I used to be and I thank him I am not yet I am going to be. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment